Alfred Basin Plaquecommemorate the laying of the harbour foundation stone
The Alfred Basin was the first docks for what is today the Port of Cape Town. The Alfred Basin was officially opened by and named after Prince Alfred the Duke of Edinburgh, in July 1870 after 10 years of construction work. The prince, Queen Vctoria's second son, laid the foundation stone in 1860.
The plaque commerorates that day and is fixed where the prince stood on September 17, 1860. He pulled a silver trigger that released a truckload of ceremonial rocks into the sea. Twenty thousand people turned up to watch this historical occasion. Amongst them were the then Xhosa chief, Sandile, and Soga, the first black Presbyterian minister in South Africa.
The Alfred Basin is now part of the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront.
- Decimal degrees: -33.905007 (Latitude) 18.419965 (Longitude)
- Degrees, Minutes & Seconds: S33 54 18 (Latitude) E18 25 11 (Longitude)
- GPS: S 33 54.300 (Latitude) E 18 25.198 (Longitude)
- UTM: 34S 261444 (X) 6245379 (Y)
... also in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront.