Alfred Basinthe original Cape Town harbour
The Alfred Basin was the first docks for what is today the Port of Cape Town. It was officially opened by and named after Prince Alfred the Duke of Edinburgh, in July 1870 after 10 years of construction work. The prince, Queen Vctoria's second son, laid the foundation stone in 1860. The basin is now part of the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront.
The Alfred Basin is still used by smaller commercial vessels such as fishing and pleasure boats and also by smaller passenger cruise ships.
Alfred Basin 2012 (photo: QVRP, Creative Commons license)
Alfred Basin (photo: Public Domain)
Alfred Basin in the 1920's (photo: Public Domain)
Cape Town Harbour 1938 (photo: Public Domain)
Alfred Basin in the late 1800's (photo: Public Domain)
Cape Town Harbour, with the Clock Tower visible on the left. The date of the photo is unknown (around 1883?). (photo: Public Domain)
- Decimal degrees: -33.907577 (Latitude) 18.420794 (Longitude)
- Degrees, Minutes & Seconds: S33 54 27 (Latitude) E18 25 14 (Longitude)
- GPS: S 33 54.455 (Latitude) E 18 25.248 (Longitude)
- UTM: 34S 261528 (X) 6245096 (Y)
- Above sea level: 0 ft / 0 m
West Quay Road, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town
... also in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront.
- QVRP. 2012. Alfred Basin 2012. QVRP.
- The National Archives UK. 2012. Sv. 'The Alfred Docks, Cape Town'. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationalarchives/sets/72157625973857418/ (accessed 28 February 2013).
- Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 2012. Sv. 'Port of Cape Town'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Cape_Town (accessed 26 December 2012).