Robben Island Blue Quarryan infamous site
Mining at the Blue Quarry started in the 17th century. It is a very large stone quarry protected from the sea by a dry stone and rubble berm. This site is infamous as prisoners were put to work here during the apartheid era moving rock and keeping the berm repaired.
- Decimal degrees: -33.79302 (Latitude) 18.36287 (Longitude)
- Degrees, Minutes & Seconds: S33 47 43 (Latitude) E18 21 46 (Longitude)
- GPS: S 33 47.581 (Latitude) E 18 21.772 (Longitude)
- UTM: 34S 255845 (X) 6257667 (Y)
- Above sea level: 3 ft / 1 m
... also on Robben Island.
- Robben Island Museum. 2009. Robben Island. http://www.robben-island.org.za (accessed 5 January 2015).
- University of Cape Town. 2001. Phase 1 Archaeological assessment of Robben Island world heritage site. Rondebosch: Archaeology Contracts Office, Department of Archaeology.