Robben Island World War 2 Large Machine Gun Postunusually large machine gun post
An unusually large machine gun post built of cement filled bags. There are 5 gun ports set to cover the north eastern coast line of Robben Island.
Entrance to the facility is via a tunnel, originally built of wood and iron, and covered by a mound of earth. This tunnel has been curved to minimise the chances of ricocheting rounds entering the post.
- Decimal degrees: -33.79194 (Latitude) 18.37047 (Longitude)
- Degrees, Minutes & Seconds: S33 47 30 (Latitude) E18 22 13 (Longitude)
- GPS: S 33 47.516 (Latitude) E 18 22.228 (Longitude)
- UTM: 34S 256545 (X) 6257804 (Y)
- Above sea level: 20 ft / 6 m
... also on Robben Island.
- University of Cape Town. 2001. Phase 1 Archaeological assessment of Robben Island world heritage site. Rondebosch: Archaeology Contracts Office, Department of Archaeology.