Robben Island World War 2 Battery Observation Post
Situated on a high point on the central part of the island, this triple story structure commands a view over the entire landscape. It was probably a key facility in the coastal defense system, and used for spotting of shipping and training of long-range artillery.
- Decimal degrees: -33.80633 (Latitude) 18.37412 (Longitude)
- Degrees, Minutes & Seconds: S33 48 22 (Latitude) E18 22 26 (Longitude)
- GPS: S 33 48.380 (Latitude) E 18 22.447 (Longitude)
- UTM: 34S 256924 (X) 6256217 (Y)
- Above sea level: 66 ft / 20 m
... also on Robben Island.
- University of Cape Town. 2001. Phase 1 Archaeological assessment of Robben Island world heritage site. Rondebosch: Archaeology Contracts Office, Department of Archaeology.