Robert Sobukwe House
Robert Sobukwe, the leader of the Pan African Congress, was held in isolation on Robben Island from 1963 to 1969. The building in which he was held was erected during World War 2 and was previously used by black warders.
Sobukwe was not allowed to communicate with anyone, including the warders, and used gestures as a means of communication.
Robert Sobukwe House (photo: Creative Commons license)
- Decimal degrees: -33.803792 (Latitude) 18.376458 (Longitude)
- Degrees, Minutes & Seconds: S33 48 13 (Latitude) E18 22 35 (Longitude)
- GPS: S 33 48.228 (Latitude) E 18 22.587 (Longitude)
- UTM: 34S 257133 (X) 6256504 (Y)
- Above sea level: 20 ft / 6 m
... also on Robben Island.
- Robben Island Museum. 2009. Robben Island. http://www.robben-island.org.za (accessed 17 February 2015).