Fort Wynyard

Kijk-in-de-pot Battery

On June 11, 1795, a squadron of British warships anchored in False Bay. In reaction the commander of the Cape forces ordered that a new battery, Kijk-in-de-pot Battery, be built on a hillock overlooking what is now Granger Bay.

Kijk-in-de-pot referenced the blubber pots of the whaling station in Granger Bay directly below the battery.

On 13 September of the same year the Dutch forces at the Cape capitulated.

In 1827 the British decided to dismantle the Kijk-in-de-pot Battery, but after the outbreak it was rearmed on April 12, 1861.

The Kijk-in-de-pot battery was improved in 1862 and renamed after Lieutenant-General Robert Henry Wynyard. It remained operational until August 15, 1945.

On 14 May 1976 Fort Wynyard was proclaimed as a national monument.

In 1992 the fort became the headquarters of the Cape Garrison Artillery.

Fort Wynyard only saw action once, during the British invasion of 1795.

Fort Wynyard

Fort Wynyard (photo: Warren Rohner, Creative Commons license)


  • Decimal degrees: -33.903272 (Latitude) 18.413764 (Longitude)
  • Degrees, Minutes & Seconds: S33 54 11 (Latitude) E18 24 49 (Longitude)
  • GPS: S 33 54.196 (Latitude) E 18 24.826 (Longitude)
  • UTM: 34S 260865 (X) 6245557 (Y)
  • Above sea level: 59 ft / 18 m


Granger Bay Boulevard, Green Point, Cape Town

... also in the Green Point.