Jan van Riebeeck QuarryJan se Gat
The Jan van Riebeeck Quarry was opened in 1652 and is the oldest quarry on Robben Island. It is also known as Jan se Gat.
The quarry was extensively mined for slate in the construction of Cape Town. The slate was worked intermittently for about 300 years.
The Jan van Riebeeck Quarry was closed in 1963.
- Decimal degrees: -33.816968 (Latitude) 18.376436 (Longitude)
- Degrees, Minutes & Seconds: S33 49 01 (Latitude) E18 22 35 (Longitude)
- GPS: S 33 49.018 (Latitude) E 18 22.586 (Longitude)
- UTM: 34S 257169 (X) 6255042 (Y)
- Above sea level: 33 ft / 10 m
... also on Robben Island.
- Robben Island Museum. 2009. Robben Island. http://www.robben-island.org.za (accessed 29 April 2015).