Robben Island World War 2 Machine Gun Post
A shuttered concrete construction of World War 2 origin, typical of a 3 port machine gun post. There are concrete stairs leading into the side-rear of the structure. Under each port are swivel mounts for guns.
The structure is hidden in thick bush on in the central area of the island - probably positioned to protect the airport.
- Decimal degrees: -33.7951 (Latitude) 18.36731 (Longitude)
- Degrees, Minutes & Seconds: S33 47 42 (Latitude) E18 22 02 (Longitude)
- GPS: S 33 47.706 (Latitude) E 18 22.039 (Longitude)
- UTM: 34S 256262 (X) 6257446 (Y)
- Above sea level: 39 ft / 12 m
... also on Robben Island.
- University of Cape Town. 2001. Phase 1 Archaeological assessment of Robben Island world heritage site. Rondebosch: Archaeology Contracts Office, Department of Archaeology.